This page contains puzzles and other games that I've created for my students as well as links
to my favorite puzzle sites and tips for using word search puzzles in the classroom.
Need Adobe Acrobat to open PDF worksheets? Visit the Adobe site for details!
NOTE: I do not provide answers keys for word search puzzles!
Science A to Z Puzzle (pdf) - Visit the General Science page for the answer key and tips for extending this assignment!
Science A to Z Challenge #2 (pdf) - Another version of the A to Z puzzle with words that bend.
Scientific Method Word Search (pdf)
Super Scientists Challenge (pdf) -Visit the General Science page for more Super Scientists materials and the answer key!
Super Scientists Word Search (pdf)
Inventor's Challenge Word Search (pdf) - Visit the General Science page for more Inventor's Challenge materials.
For more lesson ideas, visit the Biology Lesson Plan page of the Science Classroom. Some of the puzzles in this section are from the Adopt-An-Insect Unit, Eagle Days, and Nature Center areas of the website.
Adopt-An-Insect Word Search (pdf)
Bald Eagle Word Search (pdf)
Cells Word Search (pdf)
Ecology Word Search (pdf)
Biome Word Search (pdf)
Invertebrate Word Search (pdf)
Vertebrate Word Search (pdf)
Microscope Mania Puzzles (pdf) - Includes a word search and make-a-word challenge.
Human Body Systems Challenge Puzzle (pdf)
Human Body Word Search (pdf)
Human Body Systems Review (pdf)
Nervous System Crossword Puzzle (pdf)
Skeletal & Muscular System Crossword Puzzle (pdf)
World of Insects Word Search (pdf)
Genetics Word Search (pdf)
Genetics Challenge puzzle (pdf)
DNA Challenge (pdf) - How many words can you make from the letters in deoxyribonucleic acid? The record in my classroom is 763 words! Way to go, Alicia J.!
Chemistry Word Search (pdf)
Metric Challenge Puzzle (pdf)
Periodic Table Puzzle (pdf) + Answer Key (pdf)
Periodic Table Puns (pdf) or Periodic Table Puns 2 (pdf) + PTable Puns - Answer Key (pdf)
Element Challenge Puzzle-Word Search (pdf)
Periodic Table Challenge (pdf) - How many words can you make with chemical symbols? The record in my classroom is 1534 words! Way to go, Megan L.!
Tips on using word search puzzles in a classroom ...
- Challenge students to use 10 or more of the terms in the puzzle to create a concept map or web.
- Have students make flash cards using the words in the puzzle and definitions they find in a book or on the Internet.
- Have your students write a report that includes a specific number (10, 15, or 20) of the terms in the puzzle.
- See who can find and define the most words (or fill in the most words) in a specific period of time.
- Have the students use the words to make questions for a Jeopardy-type game for their classmates.
- Offer extra credit! If I assign a word search puzzle as extra credit, I award 10 points to those students who find all the words. Students who find some of the words receive points based on the percentage they find. For example, if they find 90% of the words, they receive 9 of the 10 points. Download the Earth Science Word Search (pdf) and check out the second page for an example of my extra credit method. Students usually have 1-2 days to complete the word search puzzles (on their own time, not class time) and 3-4 days for the create-a-word challenge pages.
Puzzlemaker @ Discovery School - An excellent site for review puzzles and other challenges!
Mrs. (Trimpe) Tomm's Quia! class page- An assortment of online games - flash cards, quizzes, and more - for science careers, chemistry, earth science, and more! Visit the Quia main page for tons of great ready-to-use online games for every subject!
JLab Science Puzzles - An assortment of science related puzzles to print or play online.
Lesson Corner Puzzles - Use the puzzle generator at this site to make crosswords, word searches, or word scrambles.
PuzzleMakers Samples - A variety of online and printable puzzle pages to challenge your students.
Squiggly's Playhouse - Visit this page for pencil puzzles and online games.
Word Search Builder - Enter your word list and create a puzzle for your next unit!
Awesome Clipart for Educators - Worksheets & Puzzles - Visit this page for several ready-to-print puzzles and puzzle creators!
Do you have other puzzle sites? Send me an e-mail.
Want to make your own puzzles? Visit the Centron Software website
for more information about the Puzzle Power program to create my puzzles.
Activities, lessons, & worksheets available on any page of this web site are intended for use by a single teacher in his/her classroom or to share at educational conferences. Reproduction for commercial use or profit is not permitted without the express written consent of Mrs. Tracy (Trimpe) Tomm. Visit my Frequently Asked Questions page for more details!